Friday, October 17, 2008

Social Networking

I looked over Elizabeth's shoulder to see Facebook in action, as it appears you can no longer take a Facebook tour (I guess you're just suppose to want to sign up regardless). It is definitely geared to inviduals, but I can see the library using it to reach out to potential users instead of waiting for them to come to us.

MySpace seems especially good for finding your favourite obscure singer/songwriter, but Friendster seems (and don't be offended if you belong!)a bit desperate-- the most important information about you appears to be your age and relationship status.

I'm not inclined to sign up for any-- as Dehydra noted, I'm pretty sure once the shiny newness wore off, I wouldn't have much to say and it would become like work keeping up with everyone. I've just been persuaded to attend my 25th High School Reunion, and that will be enough catching up for the next 25 years.

No comments: